Friday, August 14, 2009

Delancey - Seattle

Oh dear, Delancey. I love your concept. Simplicity. Authentic Brick oven. Husband and wife team. You have the ingredients for success, and I wish you lots of it.

Dear Ben and I set out for a quiet dinner, but ended up running into some friends. Making a party of two into a party of six dramatically increased our wait time, especially in such a small space. I think we waited for two hours! Was it worth the wait, you ask? Probably not tonight. It has a lot of potential though. Delancey opened just two days prior to our visit, and while they are still working out some kinks, the pizza is good. The best part is the combination of the dough recipe and that brick oven!


Fresh boxes of tomatoes in the entrance


The outside & the inside


Brandon working the brick oven


The menu is basic. There are only two salads available. Dear Ben and I split the "Billy's Tomato" to start. It was a summertime plate of thick tomato slices, sweet white corn kernels, torn basil, and a light shallot vinaigrette. I enjoyed the salad, particularly since tomatoes are currently at their peak.

The "Billy's Arugula" is your other option. This small arugula salad includes thinly sliced radishes, Grana, and Champagne vinaigrette. Friend Philly got this, and he seemed to enjoy it. The salad doesn't stand out as truly special though. What is grana? It's simply an Italian hard, mature cheese -- very similar to Parmigiano-Reggiano.

The Delancey Salads


The pizzas started coming out in waves. The first pizza was the most interesting, Zucchini Anchovy. The olive oil based pizza was topped with shaved zucchini, strips of anchovy, fresh mozzarella cheese, and seasoned with oregano. We offered a slice to the other folks at our table. Friend Katy said it tasted "fishy." You could taste a hint on anchovy, but it wasn't overpowering - just enough. While this pizza was good, I didn't fall in love with it.

Zucchini Anchovy



The other pizza Dear Ben and I ordered was the Arugula. It was reminiscent of pizza we had recently in Munich. Basically, this is a warm cheese pizza topped with a fresh arugula salad. I guess I was expecting to be taken back to a European pizzeria, but sadly I was not. Again, it was good, I just didn't love it.

Arugula Pizza


Friend Gus picked the Crimini pizza. Another olive oil based pie with shave crimini mushrooms, fresh mozzarella cheese, and seasoned with thyme. He liked it, and said he wouldn't change a thing. Gosh, Gus, you're easy to please. I would have preferred a thicker mushroom. The shaved crimini only gives me a hint of that earthy goodness.

Crimini Pizza



Friends Lauren and Katy ordered the Brooklyn pizza, and Friend Philly ordered the Margherita. We're pretty sure that these pizzas got switched when delivered to the table; the differences are very subtle. Perhaps it was meant to be that East-Coast-Friend Philly got the Brooklyn. The Margherita was simply topped with tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella, and basil. The Brooklyn adds only aged mozzarella and Grana. You can see, the pizzas look almost identical. I think Delancey should pick which one of these pizzas they like the best, then only include one of them on the menu.

Can you tell which is which?



For dessert, we had three choices: Bittersweet chocolate chip cookie with grey salt, Organic raspberry yogurt popsicle, or chilled peaches in wine. Unfortunately, they were out of the peaches. Friend Katy ordered the cookie. Sounds like something I'd love, doesn't it? I do love salty chocolate, but this cookie just didn't float my boat. The appearance is just hum-drum, huh?

Bittersweet Chocolate Chip Cookie


Our meal was overall good, but it wasn't one of my favorites. I think a lot of it can be chalked up to this being the first Friday night of business. However, I'd like to see some stand-out menu choices available. Perhaps a little more variety in toppings. There are some interesting choices currently available, and the crust is really delicious. But I want more flavor - something that will send me over the edge with excitement. What about inventing a pizza based on a bacon wrapped, blue cheese stuffed date. Maybe with a little drizzle of balsamic reduction? Somebody needs to make that.


Delancey
415 NW 70th ST
Seattle, WA 98117
206-838-1960
delanceyseattle.com/


Delancey on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete