Thursday, December 23, 2010

Malena's Taco Shop - Queen Anne

I found it! Authentic, inexpensive, and oh, so delicious tacos in Seattle. They're at Malena's Taco Shop in Queen Anne. While it's no Fiesta Grill in Huntington Beach, it's a close second. I have to admit that I'm feeling a little bit giddy.



I asked the cashier about her favorite thing on the menu. She said the carne asada burrito or tacos are the most popular. With that in mind, I picked two soft tacos: carne asada taco and pork (nope, they don't call it carnitas), as well as a hard shell chicken taco for good measure.

I started to pay with plastic, but all they take is paper. So, I hurried to Ken's Market on the corner for some cash, and when I made it back to Malena's... my plate of tacos was ready!
As I sat down at one of the few tables with my tacos, a bowl of salsa and chips were slid towards me. Aw, and it's the same bowl that Fiesta Grill has too.


The salsa was "eat-it-with-a-spoon" good, but...
would it be too much trouble to fry the chips up in-house?


Someone came in to buy a large tub of salsa while I was there.
It's just $7, if you're so inclined.


My a la cart Taco Trio


First up, hard shell chicken taco. The thick shreds of chicken were nicely seasoned in a homemade taco shell. Then, it was topped with shredded cheese, lettuce, and tomato. Actually, there was so much chicken in the taco that most of the lettuce and tomato spilled out onto the plate. Looking back, I wish I had some sour cream, but I didn't miss it at the time.

Hard Shell Chicken Taco


The two soft tacos I chose came with guacamole, tomato, onion, and cilantro. The carne asada and pork soft tacos are the only ones that come with the guac. I started with the pork. Again, the seasonings were perfect, and again the shreds were thick and delicious. The carne asada was my favorite though. The beef was largely diced, but what I really liked it how I could taste each component of the taco. It was a great way to end the taco experience. I like saving the best for last.

The soft tacos - close up carne asada on the right.
I should have taken a picture after they were gone... no greasy spots!

They advertised dessert, Mexi-Flan, but for a late afternoon "snack," it was hard to justify. I did feel guilty getting such tasty food without Dear Ben, so I ordered him the same three tacos to go. He liked the carne asada the best too, but the chicken was his least favorite. He thought it might have been too salty, though I did not agree. My chicken was quite enjoyable. In fact, it all was enjoyable. The next time I'm in the neighborhood, I'm going to try something different. That is, if I can pull myself away from the a la cart taco.



Malena's Taco Shop

620 W McGraw St
Seattle, WA 98119
206-284-0304


Malena's Taco Shop on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment