Thursday, December 31, 2009

La Super Rica - Santa Barbara

La Super Rica is famous in Santa Barbara, and we stood in the long line to prove it. Actually, the line wasn't too long for us because it was a rare Wednesday of business for the folks of La Super Rica. Perhaps because they would be closed for New Years Day late in the week? Whatever the reason, we lucked out with a relatively short line.

If you're a regular reader, you know of my love for Mexican food. Not to mention this place got the stamp of approval from Julia Child, among others. But I'll just be blunt. I'm glad I went just so I can say that I've been, but I'm not going back. I just wasn't very impressed with the flavor. Friendly folks there though, and you can actually watch them pressing fresh tortillas. You might guess that the tortillas were the best part!

An Outside View


Specials Board & Regular Menu


#1 - Taco de Bistec
Bold

Yep, that's all there is to it. Steak strips on two corn tortillas.

Tamal Special

Good masa. Cream sauce lacked oompf. While vegetables made me feel healthy, the flavor did not persuade me to finish it.


# 19 Frijol Super Rica

Clearly made from scratch with dry pinto beans with little chunks of chorizo, bacon, and chilis served with 2 tortillas. You can see it's more of a soup, so if that's what you're looking for, it's pretty good.


#6 Rajas

This vegetarian taco is a combination of pasilla chilis, onions, and melted cheese. I really loved my first bite, but the taste got old fast. By the third bite, I passed it to Dear Ben.


#18 Guacamole

Creamy. I actually really liked their homemade guacamole, but Dear Ben felt it was too oniony. I didn't think so, but if you're anti-onion, this might not be for you. It comes with two corn tortillas
Bold


Chilaquiles Special

I liked the chilaquiles the best of all, and Dear Ben agreed. Freshly made chips covered in a light tomato sauce, a bit of cheese, white onion, grilled green onion, sour cream, guacamole, and a sprinkle of tomato. The tomato sauce was a tad too sweet. I wish it was more of an enchilada sauce, but I've been told a lot in my life that beggars can't be choosers.


Three Complimentary Salsas
These were especially helpful on the steak taco.

I wish I had more to say about La Super Rica. The writing is kind of like the food, a bit bland. I won't steer you away from going there since it's such a landmark, but perhaps you like me, will agree that there's no need to go back. At least not until I've given other Mexican joints in the area a fair shake.


La Super Rica
622 N. Milpas Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93103
805-963-4940
*Closed Wednesdays*


La Super-Rica Taqueria on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. You are spot on with this review of la Super Rica. I live in Santa Barbara and this place has been so over-hyped, I am getting food poisoning just thinking about it...by the way, what did Julia Child know about Mexican food...answer...ZERO! Try Los Agaves, a few blocks away, for one of the best Mexican restaurants I have been to...and I lived in San Francisco for over 25 years! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete