Sunday, February 13, 2011

Etta's Seafood - Seattle

I guess it's a rite of passage for all Seattleites to dine at each of Tom Douglas's restaurants. Now that I've had the pleasure of brunching at Etta's, I'm halfway there. We hadn't even planned on leaving the house this Sunday, but Friend Jeff asked us to meet him downtown, and well, I'm an easy sell - especially on a bright sunny day in February.

I ordered an iced tea, seems brunchy enough with the Babe in tow. Dear Ben and Friend Jeff were a little more adventurous. Dear Ben with the Market Milk Punch, and Friend Jeff with the Scratch Bloody Mary House Pepper. Both drinks were exceptional. So different from each other, though I couldn't decide which one I liked best. Maybe I'll get both next time so I don't have to decide.

Market Milk Punch & Bloody Mary


Since they were out of the Monkey Bread and Salted Caramel Apple Scone, we settled for breakfast entrees only. Although it was a disappointment that they were sold out of those sides, I forgot all about it once our food arrived.

Dear Ben ordered the Bay Shrimp Roll. It's their take on a lobster roll, served cold in a homemade buttered brioche. Dear Ben said the bread was awesome, but the shrimp salad wasn't anything to write home about. It's not that it was bad, but with more exciting things on the menu, he'll get something else next time. I feel like even the waitress tried to sway him towards the burger - his second choice today. It was a blessing in disguise that he ordered a plate of room temperature food since The Babe wasn't as cooperative as he could've been (good thing he's so cute).

Bay Shrimp Roll with Waffle Chips


Friend Jeff ordered the Corned Beef Hash with two poached eggs. I'm glad he ordered this because I really wanted to try it. This was a fancy version, nothing like what Momma served out of the can - though I do like it cold, sliced, and fried the way only Momma knows. Today's corned beef was true corned beef, like you'd see on St. Patrick's Day, served on a chunky hash. Friend Jeff wasn't expecting such big pieces of green pepper, but it was tasty nonetheless. The habanero ketchup was unexpectedly special, too.

Corned Beef Hash



I saved the best for last... today's special. Spot prawns and andouille sausage and cream cheese grits. All you had to say was spot prawns, and I'm in. A favorite among favorites. Even though these were not Santa Barbara Spot Prawns, this dish was so, so good. Everything about it was wonderful. Spicy broth, cooked just right, and creamy-dreamy grits.

Spot Prawns & Andouille Sausage with Grits



All of my Tom Douglas experiences have been excellent: the food, the ambiance, and the service. Today's brunch was no exception. It was a wonderful way to begin a bright, sunny day in downtown Seattle. What a great city we live in!


Etta's
2020 Western Avenue
Seattle, WA 98121
216-443-6000
http://tomdouglas.com/index.php?page=ettas

Etta's Seafood on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment