Monday, April 19, 2010

French's Bakery - Costa Mesa

I was late for an appointment, so I didn't get breakfast. Three hours later, I was famished! Starved! I needed a cupcake. Just one, probably. So, I made my way over to French's Bakery on 17th Street in Costa Mesa (it was closer than Sprinkles, and I needed food fast!). Note: There are two French's Bakeries in Costa Mesa. They are not affiliated with one another, and I am endorsing the one on 17th Street.

I knew just which cupcake I was going to order: The Lemon Blueberry. When I walked in, don'tcha know I had to throw that "one-cupcake" notion out the window. I asked for two Lemon Blueberry, and the nice lady at the counter asked how many I would be getting. I was looking at the window of cupcakes and said, "I don't know..." That didn't phase her, she just started lining the cupcakes along the window until I was done. All together, I chose eight. Eight is great, right?




Lemon Blueberry
I'll admit that I had a different little pastry to tide me over on the drive home, but the Lemon Blueberry was definitely the first cupcake that Dear Ben and I would share. Dear Ben and I agree that it's our favorite. He says, "There's something about it. It's just so moist and delicious."

I love that the temperature is usually cool. Lemon cake with real blueberries baked right in. The blueberries tend to fall to the bottom of the cupcake, but that doesn't bother me one bit. I usually eat the stump first anyway, then the top with all of the cream cheese icing goodness. French's tops the Lemon Blueberry with a real jolly blueberry. If you can go and just get one cupcake, this should be the one.



Cream Cheese Delight
And what a delight it is! The nice lady at the counter recommended this one, and I'm sure glad she did. There's cream cheese in the middle of this one!


Cherry Chocolate
We kinda hit a low with this one. It was just all right; tasted a bit like a Duncan Heinz mix. I'm not crazy about raw chocolate chips with my cupcakes, but I gave this one a shot since I love the cherry chocolate combination in other desserts. The icing was super sweet.



Chocolate Mousse
Rich, chocolatey cake with a cool chocolate mousse on top. Yes, the icing is actual chocolate mousse with little chocolate shavings on top. Yum! A great way to end the first act of cupcakes.


INTERMISSION
We had to take a break after four cupcakes.

ACT TWO
Back to the cupcakes. Now... let's see...where were we?

Peanut Butter Fudge
Dense chocolate cake with little bits of walnuts and chocolate chips baked inside. The icing was a creamy peanut buttery flavor that wasn't overwhelming. Dear Ben and I both really liked this one.


Key Lime
I have to admit that I got this one just to make an even eight in the box. I wasn't terribly excited, but the flavor really did excite my taste buds. It seriously tastes just like key lime pie! From the key lime flavored cake to the sweetened condensed milk taste of the icing to the graham cracker bits on top. Dear Ben exclaimed, "This is so refreshing!"



Apple Pie
I got this one with Dear Ben in mind. He loves apple pie, and you probably won't be surprised to know that it tasted like apple pie. The cake part wasn't all that great, but they really went to a lot of trouble to give you that apple pie essence. The cupcake was topped with the cinnamon glaze of an apple pie as well as the creamy apple-cinnamon icing, then topped with a swirl of caramel. Wait - there's more! You get a little slice of real apple pie apple in the middle.


We ended our cupcake party with the other Lemon Blueberry. While it was so fun tasting all of these cupcakes from French's, the Lemon Blueberry cupcake is still number one. If you've never tried French's, I do believe you are missing out. Don't like cupcakes? French's Bakery is not a one-trick pony. The jalapeno cheese omelet bread that I had the next day for breakfast as amazing. Just wrap it up in foil to warm in the oven, and presto! Breakfast!


French's Cupcake Bakery
273 E. 17th Street
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
949-642-00571
www.frenchsbakery.com


French's Bakery on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment